Bar-stool Makeover: From Drab to Fab
Posted by Tara
I've lived in my house for 3 years now and never found the stools I was wanting. If I found some similar, they would always cost an arm and a leg! And I wasn't about to spend a ton of money on them.
I recently took a trip to Goodwill and behold I found what I was looking for! Old, wooden stools. They didn't look amazing when I found them but I could see their potential.
Get this, all 4 costed me a whopping $35!! (Insert happy dance) Now for the fun stuff... Picking the color I wanted to paint them. I am changing the colors in my kitchen right now, so I knew I wanted something soft with color. I fell in love with a craft paint named Sea Glass, and took it in to get color matched at Home Depot. The result was perfection. I used my BBFrösch to mix with the paint. I loved using it for my dresser makeover I did recently, and I knew I needed to use it for my stool makeover!
I got 1 quart of paint and headed home to get started. I first took the chair cover off the tops. They were super outdated and well.... gross. I took off all the hardware on the bottom of the stools and wiped them down.
Some of the tops of the stools needed sanding, but for the most part they were all ready for their first coat of paint.
After I applied 2 coats of paint (a total of 1 cup of paint), I got started on the spray painting of the metal. I really love the color of gold. Mint and gold is like Oreo's and milk. They seriously were made for each other!!
Once everything was painted, I felt like my stools still needed something. I talked it over with Devin and we both agreed numbers would be perfect!
I bought a pack of 8x11" mailing labels. I printed my numbers in the font of New Times Roman on my mailing label. I cut the number out and placed it where I wanted on my stool. I painted it in with black paint. * Tip: Remove the label quickly after applying the paint. This was the first time the adhesive stuck to my chair the longer I let it sit. So be sure to remove it quickly. After I was done with the numbers I waxed the stools to seal in the paint. Here is my finished product!!