Thursday, November 20, 2014

Natural Tree Branch Candle Holders

Posted by Devin


For the past few years, I have really found myself gravitating more towards natural elements and neutral color schemes when it comes to decorating for the holidays. I especially love finding ways to use old, rough wood in my home. So the other day I was poking around our pile of scrap wood (trimmings from the trees on our property) and I found this piece of a tree branch that I thought would make such pretty candle holders! I felt a super easy project coming on!


But as it turned out, my super easy project is only super easy if you have one of two things: 1. the ability to use power tools, OR 2. a husband who has the ability to use power tools. Thankfully I have the latter. (I know, I know. I need to learn how to use them. But I am so afraid I am going to saw off some vital body part! And there's no re-do's on sawing off body parts.) Here's Cash helping me measure my branch. I tried to saw it by hand at first and quickly realized I was going to be sawing for the rest of my life, ergo I begged my hubby for help.


So here's what I... I mean, Jake... did. All you have to do is measure your branch to the length you want it (I made mine around 7" tall) and then saw the bottom and top of your branch with two parallel cuts so it creates a level surface for your candle. My branch was long enough to make two candle holders. Once they were cut and level, I used a rag to wipe it down really well and knock off any loose pieces of bark. 


Then to keep the candle in place, I simply inserted a nail (one without a head on it) into the center of the branch. Punch the nail into the middle of the candle when you place it on the branch and it will keep it from going anywhere. And yes, I did do this step myself. ;) I've seen a lot of branch candle holders out there that use votive candles set down inside the branch, but I really liked the idea of a candle holder with the candle up on top. I won't be burning candles on these for a super long period of time (just for dinner), so I wasn't too worried about wax dripping down, but if you do decide to burn them for awhile, you may want to place a tray or dish under the branches to catch melted wax.


I love the rustic touch these candle holders bring to my Thanksgiving table-scape. I'm planning on using them for Christmas as well and who knows? They may stick around throughout the year!

Linking Up With: Link Party Palooza // Creativity Unleashed // Just Us Four // The Creative Collection // Celebrate It Blog Party // Pink When //

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At November 21, 2014 at 8:46 PM , Blogger Teri said...

These are so pretty! I love the woodsy look! Pinning these! I would love if you would share this at my blog party, Celebrate It! It is all about celebrating this wonderful, everyday life we live!
http://thefreshmancook.blogspot.com/2014/11/celebrate-it-blog-party-18.html

 
At August 4, 2016 at 6:08 PM , Blogger Bharath Gopalan said...

Good and amazing article, thanks for sharing your knowledge!
Salt candle holder

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home