Friday, August 15, 2014

DIY Cabinet Door Chalkboard & Rustic Magnet Board

Posted by Devin

A few weeks ago I showed you all my new Family Command Center. As promised, here are the tutorials for the two boards I included on my wall! These are SUPER simple, so I decided to put them together in one post.

Cabinet Door Chalkboard

What You Need:
Old Cabinet Door
Chalkboard Paint
Painter's Tape
Paint Brush (I always use Purdy brushes)
Furniture Cleaner
Paint (if you want to paint the outer edge of door, or you can also leave as wood)

Step 1 - Paint the outer edges of the cabinet door desired color. I used Valspar La Fonda Mirage for a pretty blue and it took me two coats to get good coverage. As I stated above, you can simply skip this step if you prefer your chalkboard to be a wood tone on the edges. Because of the metal details on my door, I had to do quite a bit of taping for this step.

Step 2 - Once the edges are dry, tape around the center of the door and paint it using the chalkboard paint. I wanted to get a good solid black surface for my chalkboard so I painted three coats with the chalkboard paint.

Step 3 - When the chalkboard paint has dried, simply remove the tape and put some hanging hardware on the back of the door and you are ready to go! I think it turned out great! I love having a chalkboard in my kitchen now! 


Rustic Magnet Board

What You Need:
Picture Frame (You will want one with metal tabs on the back. I bought mine with an ugly picture in it for $2.99 at Goodwill.)
Metal Sheet (Cut to size.)
Paint 
Sponge Brush
Hanging Hardware

The only tough part of this project is getting your metal sheet. I found my metal in a junk heap among my father-in-law's things and my husband cut it to size with an electric saw. If you don't have access to a junk heap or a handy husband with power tools, I suggest running down to the hardware store to see what metal sheets they have available. Most of the time they will cut things for you right at the store so you can get it to the size you need for your frame. But I really love the rustic, old look of my metal so I highly recommend procuring said junk heap and handy hubs if at all possible. ;)

Step 1 - Remove the glass and back of the picture frame. Paint desired color. Because I was going from wood to off-white, it took me three coats to get good coverage.

Step 2 - Put your metal sheet into your frame. I had to hammer mine a bit to get it to fit. Then fold down the metal tabs so the sheet stays in place.

Step 3 - Install hanging hardware on the back of the frame and you're all done!


These projects could not have been easier and I love the functionality and style they have added to my kitchen! Good luck with your own DIY board projects!

Linking Up With: Link Party Palooza // Just Us Four // Practically Functional //

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At June 30, 2015 at 3:13 PM , Blogger Rosemary Bailey said...

Those are some pretty good DIYs. Not only that they’re very useful, they are also quite easy to accomplish. The magnet board is great, because you can use scrap metal sheets for it, rather than buying new ones. Anyway, thanks for sharing this with us. All the best!


Rosemary Bailey @ Wabi Iron & Steel Corp.

 
At August 3, 2016 at 9:55 AM , Blogger John Adam said...

What is a good security screen door that is made?
screen door curtain

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home