Monday, June 16, 2014

No Bake Cookies

Posted by Devin


This recipe comes from my Grandmother Diane. She gave it to me at one of my bridal showers oh so many years ago and told me that she had spent quite a lot of time getting it just right. When a Grandma gives you their special "just right" recipe, you make sure you use it and don't lose it!

Grandma Diane 

When my Grandma was a young mom like me, she and my Grandfather moved their family of five to Australia to try their hand at farming in the Outback. It was during this time in her life that she made a lot of her special No Bake Cookies. Here are a few pictures from their time there.

Grandpa on the farm.


My Dad ready to go for a swim.

Their Aussie home.

 My uncle Kevin (little guy crouched down) with some friends and a wallaby.

My Grandma told me that while they were living there she avoided using the oven as much as possible since it would get so warm in the house. Because of this, she made No Bake Cookies quite often and had lots of opportunities to perfect her recipe. As an Arizonian, I love having this recipe on hand! It is quick and easy and also keeps my desert kitchen cool in the summer. This recipe is not all that different from many No Bake Cookie recipes you'll find on the internet, but I have made it many times and I know it's a winner! I think Grandma got the ingredient amounts just right.


Ingredients:
2 c. sugar
2 T. cocoa
1/4 c. butter
1/2 c. milk
1/2 c. peanut butter
1 t. vanilla
3 c. quick cooking oats

Step 1 - Put your oats, peanut butter, and vanilla together in a large bowl and set aside.


Step 2 - Combine sugar, cocoa, butter, and milk in a saucepan and heat until boiling on the stove. Keep stirring to prevent burning while the mixture heats up.



Step 3 - Pour the heated mixture into the large bowl containing the rest of the ingredients and mix well.




Step 4 - Drop the cookie mixture by the spoonful onto waxed paper lined cookie sheets and shape to your desired size. At this point you can simply let your cookies cool on the counter and then eat, but we like to put ours right into the freezer and keep them frozen until we are ready to enjoy them. Yum!


I hope you enjoy this classic summertime treat! Thanks for stopping by!

Linking Up With: Link Party Palooza // Fluster Buster // Simple Supper // Moonlight and Mason Jars // Just Us Four // Practically Functional // Pink When //

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At June 20, 2014 at 7:49 AM , Blogger Patti Tucker said...

I have a very similar recipe that uses marshmallows...pinned!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home