Monday, June 23, 2014

Homemade Caramel Corn

Posted by Tara





















A few years ago my best friend Brittany made some caramel corn for me. I had never been a huge fan of caramel corn. I loved popcorn, but not covered in caramel. That all changed after I tasted this recipe. It's so good and so very addicting! It's hard not to eat the entire batch! It's really easy, so let's get started! Here is what you'll need:

Ingredients
Baking Soda
Light Corn Syrup
Vanilla
Butter
Brown Sugar
Popcorn






















I start by popping the bag of popcorn. This recipe calls for 7-8 cups and that's about what one bag will pop. I used 2 bags because I didn't want to use the pieces from the bottom of the bag. The less unpopped kernels for this recipe, the better. I place the pre-popped popcorn in a pan and keep it warm in the oven at 300 degrees. 

Next I begin making my caramel mixture. I combine the butter, corn syrup, and brown sugar in a sauce pan and bring to a boil. 






















Once it starts to boil, I don't stir it and let it continue for 5 minutes. After it boils, I remove from heat and add the vanilla and baking soda and stir really well. Then I pour over popcorn. 






















Stir lightly with caramel mixture on popcorn. You will want to try and get all of the popcorn completely coated without crushing it. Then place back in oven for another 15 minutes at 300 degrees. When done, place popcorn on a cookie sheet to cool and it is ready to eat! 



Recipe:
7-8 cups of popped popcorn
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
6 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons light corn syrup
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp vanilla

1. Remove all unpopped kernels from the popped popcorn. Put popcorn into a baking or roasting pan. Keep popcorn warm in a 300 degree oven while making caramel mixture. 
2. For caramel mixture: in a medium saucepan combine brown sugar, butter, and corn syrup. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture boils. Continue boiling at a moderate, steady rate, without stirring, for 5 minutes. 
3. Remove saucepan from heat. Stir in baking soda and vanilla. Pour caramel mixture over popcorn; stir gently to coat. Bake in a 300 degree oven for 15 minutes. Stir mixture; bake 5 minutes more. Spread caramel corn on a large piece of buttered foil to cool. Store tightly covered for 1 week.
Recipe adapted from friend's Cook Book. 

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At June 28, 2014 at 7:47 AM , Anonymous Wendy @ www.mamasblogcentral.com said...

Mmmmmm caramel corn :) Gotta try this recipe.
I would love for you to share this a my T.G.I.F. Linky Party @ MamasBlogCentral.com Have a great weekend!

 
At June 29, 2014 at 4:43 AM , Blogger Bobbi @ 3GLOL said...

I will have to try this!! Pinning it!!

Thanks for sharing!

 
At June 29, 2014 at 2:13 PM , Anonymous Carrie This Home said...

I love to eat popcorn in the evenings after the kids go to bed. This would be the perfect sweet treat to try! Pinning this!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home