Saturday, June 28, 2014

Caprese Paninis

Posted by Tara


Nothing tastes better than a warm panini off the griddle. With summer here and tomatoes in season, I felt it would be appropriate to share my Caprese Paninis. It is all the yummy ingredients of a caprese salad pressed into a sandwich. Can't get any better than that! Here is what you'll need:

Ingredients
French Bread
Balsamic Vinegar
Olive Oil
Tomatoes
Basil
Garlic Clove
Fresh Mozzarella

I first want to talk about the bread. I have tried lots of breads for paninis and I have found the round loaves to be the best. They are dense and crusty; perfect for a panini press. The softer the bread, the less likely it will hold it's form in the press.
I sliced my bread and drizzled olive oil on the side I laid on the press. I then sliced my mozzarella and placed it across the bread.



Next I sliced my tomatoes and drizzled them heavily in balsamic vinegar. You should probably be smarter than me (very easy to do) and just pour some balsamic vinegar and a little red onion in a bowl with the tomatoes and let them infuse all the flavor.

When the tomatoes are ready, place on top of the mozzarella and then add your basil. You can roughly chop the basil or just lay the leaves right on top.

Now place another slice of bread on top and continue to cook until golden. Once it looks done, I get my garlic clove and cut it in half. I scrape the bread with the clove to infuse the bread with the clove oils. You can do it a little or a lot. I like it to scrape it quite a bit to make sure all those clove oils seep into the crusty bread.



Then you are ready to eat! These sandwiches are great for lunch as well as dinner. I hope you enjoyed my recipe and feel free to pin to your "food" board on pinterest! :)

Linking up with: Creative Collection, LinkParty Palooza, Practically Functional, Just Us Four,, Pink When

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At July 7, 2014 at 6:57 AM , Blogger kristi dominguez said...

Ahhh! This looks so amazing! Nothing beats a fresh Caprese sandwich!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home