Saturday, February 15, 2014

Fresh & Simple Makeup Tutorial

Posted by Tara

So to tell you the truth, I never thought that I would one day do a makeup tutorial. I've recently had a couple of people ask me "who did your makeup for that picture" or "how do you do your eye shadow" and to to be honest, Devin is the one who really pushed for this post! This is how I do my makeup. I don't use all the fancy brands, just whatever is easiest for me. For all of the following photos I tried to keep true to the original so you could see what the products actually do for me. Beware.. you are about to see me without my makeup on! Eeeeek!

When I get ready to put my makeup on, I scan my face. If I see any blemishes (which I always do) I apply lots of face lotion to these spots. I want to soften those areas before applying my foundation because as they heal they become scabs. This will look crusty under your powder or foundation, so applying the lotion helps eliminate that. 


After applying my facial lotion and bb cream, I then apply concealer under my eyes. I was told once to never apply it just under the eye, but rather to apply it in a triangle. Draw the triangle like this and then fill it in with concealer. This photo is in its raw form. I did not edit this. (Scary right? lol) I also add concealer to any blemishes after the lotion has been absorbed. 

Next I apply my foundation or powder. I use different ones, depending on the type of look I want. If I want to look more done up I use Tarte Amazonian Clay 12-Hour full coverage foundation 


Today I used a knock off of Bare Minerals. I lightly applied it to my face starting in my T-Zone and working my way out.
    

Once my foundation is done, I prep my eyes with Urban Decay Eyeshadow primer before applying my eyeshadow. A tiny bit goes a long way. 


Make sure it's nice and rubbed in before starting the eyeshadow process. I always use AT LEAST 3 colors every time I wear eyeshadow. A color for the brow, a base for the lid, and a dark color for the crease. 

Step 1- Apply the lightest color you have to just below your eye brow.

Step 2- Use your next lighter color for your lid and inner lid. I apply that color to the corner of my eyes and drag it toward my lower lashes as well.

Step 3- Add your first warm color to the outside eye lid. 

Step 4- Use your darkest color for crease and drag underneath to lower lashes as well.


The eyeshadow that I prefer to use and have used for the last 2 years is Urban Decay's Naked 2. It gives me such a natural look with all the browns and golds. I also love how long it lasts throughout the day. I highly recommend their eyeshadows. Really looking forward to trying the Naked 3. 



Then I use my brow brush I got from Bare Minerals. Here is a similar one that is much cheaper and does a great job as well from Sephora.










I fill my brush with an eyeshadow color similar to my eyebrows. I don't want my eyebrows to look painted on, just filled in a bit. I have dark hair, but my eyebrows still need some fill.

Once my eyeshadow and eyebrows are finished, I use my liquid liner. I start on the inside of my eyelid and drag over to the center. Then I go to the outside of my lid and create a "wing" and fill it in. Last, I connect the inner and outside liner. Eye liner takes me time, mainly because I want it to look perfect. I know liquid eyeliner shows more imperfections, but I love the solid dark line it leaves.


For my photos today I used just an over-the-counter brand: Maybelline Ultra Liner. Yes it's waterproof and no it's not hard to get off. It's okay, but I am still on the search for the perfect eyeliner. Lots of my friends have suggested Stila Liquid eyeliner, but I have yet to give it a try. For now, this one does the job!







Once eyeliner is finished and dried, I apply my mascara. I really don't have any special instructions on how to apply it. I use Power Volume 24H from Loreal. My lashes are longer, but not super thick. This mascara adds just the right amount of thickness without making my lashes clumpy.

After mascara, I usually finish off with blush and bronzer. The blush I use is Tarte Amazonian 12-Hour Blush. It seems like my blush is the first thing to go during the day. I always have a kid touching my face or rubbing their face on mine. This blush really does last throughout the day. I love all the colors they have as well. 


I decided for this post to wear lipstick. I feel like if you are going to wear lipstick, your face needs to have a natural look and not too dark of makeup. You can wear both, but it tends to look like a lot is going on. One tip I have is to line the outside of your lips with concealer before applying your lipstick. This will help give you a clean line and lip. It will also help your lipstick last longer. 

I hope that you learned a tip or two from my tutorial! Here is my finished look below. The natural colors in the eye shadow pair really well with the bright lips!




Labels: , , , , ,

32 Comments:

At February 16, 2014 at 9:49 PM , Blogger Jenny Winward said...

I can NEVER get my eyeliner to look that good...it's so frustrating! You are so beautiful with or without makeup, you lucky girl. Thanks for linking up :)

 
At February 17, 2014 at 7:51 AM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

Ha! Eyeliner is definitely the longest part of my makeup routine. But in order for it to look good, I have to do it slow! Thanks for stopping by Jenny!

 
At February 17, 2014 at 8:25 AM , Blogger jjones said...

I agree with Jenny, Tara. You have good skin and look great without makeup! Not fair!

 
At February 17, 2014 at 12:11 PM , Blogger Daily Express said...

This is an awesome post! Love the step by step photos- they are really helpful! What kind of concealer do you use under your eyes? I didn't find that detail and that's where I need the most help! :) -Gina
On the Daily Express

 
At February 17, 2014 at 3:28 PM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At February 17, 2014 at 3:28 PM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

I use a Maybelline stick. Its a cheapy from Walgreens or Walmart. I'm not super in love with it, and would like to switch to the Tarte Undereye Concealer (http://rstyle.me/~1zE6X). I hear rave reviews from fellow mommies! Thanks for stopping by Gina! Let me know if you have any more questions!

 
At February 17, 2014 at 7:40 PM , Blogger Carylee said...

This was awesome - and I agree with jenny that you are still stunning without any makeup at all! I love this - I usually line my bottom lid and seldom my top, but I may have to reverse this because of you and see how I like it! Thanks for linking up!
morepiecesofme.com

 
At February 18, 2014 at 7:54 AM , Blogger Lauren {Fizz and Frosting} said...

What a great tutorial! I just love how your eye makeup turned out, and that lipstick is gorgeous on you!

 
At February 18, 2014 at 9:01 AM , Blogger Niki {Glossy Blonde} said...

Gorgeous!!! I absolutely love the lip color!

 
At February 18, 2014 at 5:28 PM , Blogger clara mcmillan said...

This is such a beautiful makeup tutorial! Thanks for sharing with Little Miss Monday. ;)

XO, Claire

http://www.littlemissfashionqueen.blogspot.com

 
At February 19, 2014 at 7:08 AM , Blogger Daily Express said...

Awesome, thanks for the answer! :)

 
At February 21, 2014 at 3:45 PM , Blogger Zarouhi Zaz said...

Fabulous lipstick, that colour is gorgeous on you! Super tutorial, although with my 2yo climbing up next to me repeating "watchadooooooin?" while hanging off my arm my eye liner is never going to look as perfect as yours... But I'll keep trying! I did a mascara and eyelash serum post recently too. Great post, visiting from Fab Favourites, take care

http://www.mama-andmore.com

 
At February 21, 2014 at 9:39 PM , Blogger Brittany Barnes said...

I can't get over how beautiful that lipstick shade is on you. I just love it!

 
At February 22, 2014 at 7:16 AM , Anonymous Carrie This Home said...

Great tutorial! I'm glad you took the time to explain each step. I'm no makeup expert so this was helpful for me! I use the same eyeliner and really love it!

 
At February 22, 2014 at 1:43 PM , Blogger Kristine@thefoleyfam said...

Great tips! I don't even know the first thing about the correct way to apply make up so this was helpful! Thanks for sharing on Sunday FUNday! I'll be featuring you this weekend! XO

 
At February 23, 2014 at 1:32 AM , Blogger CREATIVE MIND said...

very nice :) thanks for sharing !

 
At February 26, 2014 at 6:43 AM , Anonymous Laura said...

Great tutorial, especially with regards to adding a little moisturizer before applying makeup, I also think bare minerals gives a great even coverage, and definitely leaves you feeling like you're not really wearing that much makeup -perfect!

 
At February 26, 2014 at 4:36 PM , Anonymous Heather {Woods of Bell Trees} said...

I love the look you did! You're gorgeous! Makeup how I adore makeup! The moisturizing tip before putting makeup on is awesome and a must! The Naked palettes are awesome even without all of their hype!

 
At February 27, 2014 at 7:57 AM , Anonymous The Cosmetic Plastic Surgeon said...

Very good
I'm impressed with tips you have shared. Great Tips Good Work!!!!!!

 
At February 27, 2014 at 7:59 AM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

Awww.. thanks!! Thanks for stopping by!

 
At February 27, 2014 at 8:00 AM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

Thanks Carylee! Thanks for stopping by!

 
At February 27, 2014 at 8:00 AM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

Good to hear! Thanks for stopping by Lauren!

 
At February 27, 2014 at 8:01 AM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

Thanks Niki! Thanks for stopping by!

 
At February 27, 2014 at 8:01 AM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

Awww.. thank you! That means a lot. Was pretty nervous about doing this post! Thanks for stopping by!

 
At February 27, 2014 at 8:06 AM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

Yeah.. putting makeup on with kids bumping into you is difficult. Liquid liner is worse then pencil liner... it shows EVERY imperfection! Good luck.. the more practice the better you will get! Thanks for stopping by Zarouhi!

 
At February 27, 2014 at 8:08 AM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

Thank you! Lipstick has become one of my new favorites lately! Thanks for stopping by Brittany!

 
At February 27, 2014 at 8:08 AM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

Good to hear! Thanks for stopping by Carrie!

 
At February 27, 2014 at 8:10 AM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

Thanks for stopping by Kristine! Always love your link up!

 
At February 27, 2014 at 8:10 AM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

Thank you! Thanks for stopping by!

 
At February 27, 2014 at 8:12 AM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

I used to never put face lotion on, and now I can't get enough of it. I love they way it makes my face feel and makes my makeup look. Thanks for stopping by Laura!

 
At February 27, 2014 at 8:13 AM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

Love the naked palettes. They truly have gorgeous color and last. What a great product! Thanks for stopping by Heather! Come again!

 
At February 27, 2014 at 8:13 AM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

Thank you! Thanks for stopping by! Come again!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home