Friday, December 27, 2013

Burlap Sack Pillowcases

Posted by Devin

About 5 months ago, when it was still really hot outside and school hadn't even started yet, Jake and I went on a date on which we happened to stop by our local antique mall to take a look around. I ended up leaving with a huge burlap sack and big plans to make pillowcases with it. Fast forward to today and I still had not made any pillowcases. Well I must have gotten sick of dealing with the after-Christmas chaos because I suddenly decided I needed a change of pace and making a pillowcase sounded like just the ticket! Funny since I hadn't wanted to even look at that burlap sack over the last 5 months...
 
Anyways, this project took me approximately 30 minutes to complete. Why did I put it off for so long again?!! Here's my how to for the lazy girl's super easy 30-minute burlap sack pillowcase. ;)
 
Step 1: Buy a large burlap sack. As I stated before, I found this one at our local antique mall called The Brass Armadillo. I can't remember the exact price (since I waited so long to work on this project), but I do know it was quite inexpensive.

Step 2: Put your pillow insert into your sack and determine the size needed to cover the pillow. Cut the burlap sack to size with a rotary cutter. 

Step 3: After cutting the sack you should now have the front and back pieces for your pillow case. Mine was still attached at the bottom so I simply used scissors to cut along the crease and separate the two pieces.

Step 4: Put your two pieces right side together and sew along three of the edges, leaving one edge open. (Please excuse the stacks of vintage books in the background. Christmas decor is still up in our house and that means lots of random things get dumped in my laundry/craft room.)
 



Step 5: Turn the pillowcase right side out and insert your pillow. Measure where the bottom seam should go and trim off the excess burlap.




Step 6: Turn the pillowcase wrong side out again and sew the last edge together, leaving an eight inch space in the middle unsewn. Turn the pillowcase right side out and insert your pillow. Now sew up the last eight inches with a needle and thread by simply folding the edges in, pressing them together, and stitching the hole closed.

I am super excited to finally have this completed. I love burlap, I love pillows, and I love how this project turned out! I have enough burlap to make a couple more pillowcases so hopefully I won't wait another 5 months before I do. Now all I have to decide is where to put the pillow! I like it on my couch AND my armchair... Time to make more!



Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At December 28, 2013 at 6:07 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

love it! Wish I wasn't so afraid to sew burlap.

 
At January 1, 2014 at 2:15 PM , Blogger Suzanne Bruce said...

that is super cute!!! I got a cute burlap pillow from Marshalls that wasn't nearly as adobs!!

 
At January 6, 2014 at 12:09 PM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

I used to be a little intimidated to sew burlap as well, but it's really not a big deal. You should give it a try!

 
At January 6, 2014 at 12:09 PM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

Aww thank you, Suzanne!

 
At January 12, 2014 at 4:41 PM , Blogger Kathy Penney said...

What an awesome project! Love the farmhouse look! Thanks so much for sharing at All Things Pretty!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home