Monday, September 30, 2013

DIY Halloween Banner

Posted by Tara

Last year I made it a goal to try to decorate my house more for the holidays. I realized that out of all the holidays throughout the year, I decorated for Halloween the least. (I'm terrible, I know.) I went to Hobby Lobby and picked up a small amount of supplies and decided to make a cute banner for my house! Devin loved the idea and decided to join in on making one as well. 
Here is what you'll need:

Supplies
Scissors
Scrapbook paper 12x12
Chipboard Letters
Elmer's glue
Glitter (we used purple, but you can use any color you like)
Jute or ribbon

First start with cutting your scrapbook paper. You'll want to find a template to make this process easier. Here is the one that we used, we really liked the size of it. Simply click on the picture, print, and cut out to use as your template.


Once you have your triangles ready, you will want to cut circles for your letters. We tried this without the circles and it wasn't as cute, I promise. Depending on the size of your chipboard letters, you will want to make your circles slightly larger than those. We used a large mason jar as our stencil for our circles and then cut them our with jagged-shaped scissors to add a little texture. 


Now get your chipboard and put Elmer's glue on the front. We put a lot of glue so lots of glitter would stick. The Elmer's glue really worked best for this. We tried Mod Podge and it was not successful. Allow the chipboard to dry completely before gluing to the paper.

We used jute to string ours, but feel free to use whatever you have or want. You could do any type of string or ribbon. We punched holes in our paper and threaded the string through, but I had also purchased black clothes pins that would look really cute as well. This was a super easy craft and something anyone new to DIY can do!





Linking Up With: Sew Can Do, Craft-O-Maniac, Shabby Nest, The Girl Creative, Thirty Handmade Days, Tatertots & Jello, Create and Inspire, Practically Functional

Don't forget to follow us on BlogLovin'!

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At September 30, 2013 at 5:26 PM , Blogger Kathy said...

Devin, are those your scissors? :)

 
At October 4, 2013 at 6:07 PM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

Oh Kathy... :) I actually have a pretty nice pair now, you'll have to come over and check them out, lol! ;)

 
At October 6, 2013 at 4:18 PM , Blogger Jessi @ Practically Functional said...

So cute! I love those glitter letters. :-) Pinning this, and thanks so much for sharing it at my link party!

 
At October 7, 2013 at 11:03 AM , Blogger Jessi @ Practically Functional said...

By the way, I featured this on my blog today! You can check it out here, and grab a Featured button if you don't already have one: http://practicallyfunctional.com/20-halloween-crafts-recipes/

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home