Wednesday, August 28, 2013

White After Labor Day?

Posted by Devin

I have been wearing a lot of white lately. This was what I wore on Friday, on Sunday I wore an all white skirt to church, and on Saturday I bought a new pair of white skinnies on clearance but... Am I supposed to wear it much longer??? Labor Day weekend is THIS weekend. What is up with the "don't wear white after Labor Day" thing? I have always assumed it was an archaic fashion tradition that I could ignore but with all of this white in my wardrobe I thought I would do a little investigating... I don't want to make a fashion faux pas!
 
When I googled the question I found quite a few articles from magazines such as Time and Glamour and came to one conclusion: the no-white-after-Labor-Day rule IS archaic. Made up by a bunch of the super rich elite in the 1800's, the rule is now... well.. out of fashion! And silly, if you ask me. I live in the desert and white is a cool color to wear. Unfortunately, the 100+ degree weather does not immediately disappear after Labor Day and if I want to wear white to beat the heat (or just because I like it), I will! And let us not forget that Miss Coco Chanel herself famously wore white year round. If it's good enough for Coco, it's good enough for me.

FYI: Besides google, I also asked my 3 grandmothers (beautiful dressers, each and every one) about this rule of fashion. I thought I'd include what they had to say about it here. :)
 
Grandma Liz: "That's an old expression. People that used to dress to the nines probably still observe it, but I never did. It's too hot!"
 
Grandma Diane: "That's out-dated. Once in a while you do wear it, it really depends on the temperature. It's hot here until October so we can keep wearing white." 
 
Grandma Bettie: "I don't like that rule. That is old-old-time, I don't think anyone goes by that anymore. And I think it's silly. I wear my white jeans any time I want!"
 
There you have it! It's unanimous.
 
 
 
 
 
What I Wore:
Blouse - H&M
Capris - Target
Shoes - Target
Belt - H&M
Necklace - Charming Charlie's

Linking Up With:
The Pleated Poppy
Because Shanna Said So
Style Elixir
Transatlantic Blonde


 
 

Labels:

11 Comments:

At August 28, 2013 at 7:23 AM , Blogger Chelsee W said...

Haha I think it is a ridiculous rule myself. Cute look, your hair looks amazing!

 
At August 28, 2013 at 7:45 AM , Blogger Caitlin Nalder said...

Seriously Devin, you look like a model!!! LOVE your outfit!

 
At August 28, 2013 at 8:20 AM , Blogger Lauren said...

Love this!! I wear white until I have to wear a jacket...:) Which in Mississippi is not very many months out of the year!

Lauren<3
modern1modesty.blogspot.com

 
At August 28, 2013 at 8:41 AM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

Thanks so much Chelsee! A good hair day is hard to come by in August, but I got lucky. ;) Thanks for your comment! ~Devin

 
At August 28, 2013 at 8:42 AM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

Oh Caitlin, you are too sweet. Way to make my day! ~Devin

 
At August 28, 2013 at 8:44 AM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

Same story here in AZ, Lauren. Get to enjoy my summer clothes most of the year! Thanks for commenting! :) ~Devin

 
At August 28, 2013 at 11:21 AM , Blogger Lisa Hobbs said...

Ok Devin, I think you should be a model/ celebrity...you are a natural at posing! Tyra ain't got nothin' on you! You look beautiful!

 
At August 28, 2013 at 12:20 PM , Blogger Mama S said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the top!

 
At August 28, 2013 at 1:01 PM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

LOL! Thanks Lisa! You should see the 15 shots I didn't use... Thankfully I have a great photographer named Connor who lives real close and works for cheap. ;) -Devin

 
At August 28, 2013 at 1:03 PM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

Thank you! H&M is the best! I think this top was $5. Can't beat it! -Devin

 
At August 30, 2013 at 9:51 PM , Blogger kateprs said...

It's interesting to see how rules change over time. I definitely plan to wear my white pants after Labor Day when temps will finally drop below 100 degrees!

Kate @ A Journey in Style

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home