Monday, August 26, 2013

Travel Tip of the Day: Personalized Duffle Bags

Posted by Devin: 

By the time I had my 1st baby, my brother and sister-in-law (the fabulous Nathan & Olga) were just a few months shy of 3 kids. So they are a little ahead of Jake and I on the parenting game and I've gathered a few priceless gems of wisdom from them along the way. And this is a big one: make sure each kid has their own labeled bag to pack their things in when travelling. Lol! Sounds a little silly, but oh man! I don't know how many times I have thanked my lucky stars for this piece of advice!
 
When Olga's 3 girls were little, she bought them all pink Nike duffle bags from Ross and wrote their names on them with a sharpie. Olga told me how great it was for them each to have their own labeled bag, but I didn't really catch on until my 4th boy. I was still struggling to pack their things all in one large bag and then I realized: I need to do as Olga does! I'm buying duffle bags!
 
So I went on-line and ordered 4 camo duffle bags from Walmart.com that were on sale for $8 each. I then decided to take them down to a local embroidery shop, Estrella Embroidery & Gifts, and have each of their names embroidered on their bags in a bright orange thread. It only cost me $5 to have the names put on so I ended up with these fabulous bags at the bargain price of $13 a piece! Aren't they the cutest?
 
 
Here is why I recommend personalized duffle bags:
 
1. Packing their things is easier as I do it one bag and one boy at a time. I rarely miss packing important items since this way is so much more organized.
 
2. It is so much easier for me to find each boys' clothes when they are in their own bags. The clothes don't get jumbled together and mixed up, which is a common problem with so many boys 9 and under.
 
3. It is easier for each of THE BOYS to find their clothes when they have them in their own bags. If I asked them to go get dressed and their clothes were all in one bag, they would come back complaining that they couldn't find a thing and I wouldn't blame them! This way, they actually DO get dressed!
 
4. The boys love it. They get to pack the things they want to take, like a favorite stuffed animal or the book they are currently reading, and they know just where to find it!
 
5. I find that it is easier to pack 4 separate bags into the car than one ginormous bag. You can squeeze them in wherever you can find the room and the boys even like to keep them under their feet occasionally so they have easy access to their things.
 
6. Having them personalized makes it easy for all of us to spot the bag we are looking for quickly.
 
7. It is so darn cute when they are all lined-up. It just is.
 
If you are local and would like the contact information for my awesome embroiderer, here it is!
 
Estrella Embroidery & Gifts
Vicki Kinion

Labels:

3 Comments:

At August 27, 2013 at 9:50 PM , Blogger Tatum said...

I love this idea so much! I always pack my kids in one big bag together thinking that will be easier and it ALWAYS stinks. i don't know why i didn't think of this.
Are the bags cloth or like that plastic kind. I have been searching for as good of a deal for my kiddo's and you found some great priced bags!

 
At August 27, 2013 at 10:05 PM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

They are like backpack material. Not plastic. I ordered mine on amazon because I couldn't find the ones I wanted at Walmart. Best investment I ever made!!
-Tara

 
At March 29, 2014 at 2:55 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

What size of duffel bags would you recommend for 6,9, and 11 year old?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home