Friday, August 16, 2013

Master Bedroom Design on a Dime

Posted by Devin

I love interior decorating and design. And I REALLY love the challenge of doing it all by repurposing and using things I already have, creating and building things I want, and searching for great pieces at marked down prices. I'm not sure why, but I get such a thrill out of it! I love making my dollars stretch and knowing that I built and created a lot of the things around me in my home. Am I the only one? Surely not! Which is why I decided to give a little tour of my master bedroom and how I turned it into the retreat I wanted on a budget.
 
My Bed
 
When Jake and I were married, a very lovely and generous couple gave us their old 70's waterbed frame with a matching mirrored dresser and one side table. Even though I didn't make any changes to the bed the first 6 years we had it, the picture below is the ONLY "before" picture I have of it. Can you believe that?!! That kid laying on the bed is my then 21 year-old husband.


As grateful as I was for a bed, I could not say that it was my dream bed. The dark heavy wood, brass handles, and gargantuan mirrored headboard didn't quite fit the look I was going for. But instead of buying something new, I decided to try my hand at painting furniture. So after 6 years I finally sanded, primed, and painted the bed, dresser, and side table in a nice cream color. I also changed out all of the brass hardware with brushed chrome knobs. This required using wood filler to fill in the old holes the hardware had made and drilling new holes for the knobs. All in all, it was a big job. But it was also a BIG improvement. However, I was not totally happy with the look of the bed and dresser as the bed still had the giant mirrored headboard and the dresser had a matching mirrored thing on top of it. I will get to the dresser next, but here is what I did for...

My Headboard

I removed the over-sized headboard and made myself a new one. I looked in to purchasing a headboard but decided it would be a fun challenge and a money saver to make my own instead. I knew I wanted a tufted, fabric headboard so I bought some plywood, foam, batting, fabric, and buttons and got to work! I simply drilled (ok, Jake simply drilled) 10 holes into the plywood where I wanted the buttons to go, then placed the foam on the plywood, wrapped it all in the batting and then the fabric, and stapled everything into place on the back with a staple gun. Then I put an upholstery needle through the pre-drilled holes and used my buttons to create the tufts, stapling the thread onto the back of the plywood to hold them in place.
 
When I was done, I decided the headboard was missing a little something to make it pop. So I went down to the hardware store, purchased a cheap interior door, and painted it all in my cream color. I then liquid-nailed my upholstered board to the door and boom! Just what I wanted. I hung it on the wall behind my bed and I finally had a bed I loved!
 
Other Bed Elements
 
My bedding was a bargain deal purchased from Amazon, the rusty red pillow is from Walmart, and my reading lights on each side of the bed are from Ikea. I can not say enough good things about my reading lights. If you are a reader and don't have one next to your bed, I highly recommend. And these are not the kind that you need an electrician to install. As long as there is a nearby outlet, you are good to go! Also, not exactly a bed element, but the shaggy cream rug at the foot of the bed came from JC Penney.
 
My Dresser

 
As I said before, I sanded, primed, painted, and put new hardware on the dresser as well. I also removed the top mirror-hutch-thing (what in the world do you call that?!). I really love this dresser now.
 




Dresser Decor
 
The plant was a clearance score from Walmart, the crystal frames were both wedding gifts, and my mirrored jewelry box is from Target.

The Mirror
 
When I removed the whatever-you-call it from the top of the dresser, I decided to replace it with a wall-mounted mirror. Here's the mirror I really wanted from Pottery Barn.
 
It only costs $699. No big deal, right? (Choke, cough, sputter...) Ok, so obviously (atleast for me) this mirror was not in my future. Unless... I made my own version of it! I found some square, beveled mirror tiles at Target and knew I could come up with something I'd like. And here it is!


 
To make the mirror I purchased the mirror tiles, a piece of MDF, molding, liquid nails, and hanging hardware for the back. I cut and measured the MDF and moldings to size, painted the moldings, and then simply liquid-nailed everything on to the MDF! No, it doesn't look just like the PB mirror of my dreams, but I actually think this one fits my room even better!
 
Jake's Side Table
 
I almost forgot the little side table that came with the bed! It was also much improved from the paint job and hardware make-over. This is Jake's side table where he keeps his books he's currently reading, his alarm clock, and a little frame of flowers he collected from Chile that I put together for him 13 years ago. Aren't we sweet? ;)
 
My Side/Vanity Table
 
Ladies. If you do not have a vanity table it is TIME to get a vanity table. Up until a few years ago I always did my make-up standing and craning my head at my bathroom mirror. This is not the correct way to apply make-up and get ready. Trust me. This little table may just be my favorite thing in my room now because it has transformed getting ready into an enjoyable experience. I sit and listen to tunes and am so much more comfortable than I used to be.  



This table was a hand-me-down from my grandparents. My grandfather used it as a desk and when we got it, it had a power strip nailed to the underside with cords hanging off of it everywhere. We took off the power strip, removed the cords, and were pleased to find that it fit this space perfectly! It used to bother me that our bedroom set only came with one side table, but now I really love that we have mix-matched side tables instead of the same ones. Sometimes you gotta mix things up to keep it interesting. And sometimes you don't have a choice but you find that you love it anyways! ;)
 
I love the broad surface space which serves to hold my books, scriptures, and alarm clock, as well as my make-up box and mirrors. It's nice to have the space when I am getting ready. I purchased the make-up box and alarm clock from Target and the lighted vanity mirror from Costco. The other mirror was a Christmas present that used to be a brassy color and which I painted black. The chair is one of 4 that I still have from our first table set we bought at Goodwill when we were married. The table is long gone (it fell off of the back of a truck and shattered while I was in the hospital having Connor, but that is a whole other story), but I still use the chairs. The chairs used to be a forest green but I have since painted them all. This one, of course, I painted in the same cream as the rest of the furniture.
 
You can tell by how much I've talked about this, I really love this area. But I will move on...
 
My Chair & Ottoman

 
I would call this chair my biggest splurge in my bedroom. I knew I wanted a banana bark chair with a cream colored cushion for this corner of my bedroom for a really long time. When I found this one at Pier One, I decided I had to have it. Sometimes you just gotta pay the price for certain pieces, but I usually only do if I have pined-away for it for a significant amount of time and am totally sure it is what I want. Bought this 5 years ago and I have never looked back. Love that chair.
 
The reading lamp (can you tell we like to read?) and ottoman are both from Ikea. Ikea is just a budget-conscience girl's best friend, am I right?!
 
A Few Tips
 
Keep It Simple 
 
One thing I decided to do when designing my room was to keep it simple. The colors are simple, the decor is simple, there is no clutter (other than our stacked up books), and I love it that way. In order for a bedroom to feel like a retreat, I think keeping it simple and tidy can really help. There are not very many things on my walls (just the mirror I made and these 4 frames shown below) and I try to keep surfaces and floors relatively cleared.
 
 
Think Before You Spend
 
The last thing I want to show you all are my built-ins. We completely renovated our house from top to bottom just before we moved in 7 years ago. At the time, there was some talk about getting rid of the built-ins and expanding the bedroom. I am so glad we decided to keep them. We had them sanded and painted and added new hardware and I adore them. The point of showing these is that you should always think about keeping original elements and things you already have before you decide to rip them out and pay more for something else. You may end up loving those very same things later on down the road, especially if you give them a little freshening up!

 
In the case of my built-ins, I actually got to have my cake and eat it too. We added a walk-in closet to the other side of the room and now I get the best of both worlds! I'm spoiled, I know.
 
 
And that completes the tour! My room is certainly not the fanciest or most beautiful master bedroom out there, but it is mine, it suits me, and I love it. I hope I have given you some inspiration for your master bedroom design!
 
Linking Up With:

Labels:

8 Comments:

At August 17, 2013 at 7:38 AM , Blogger Rose said...

Absolutely wonderful! You both did and amazing job!

live-in-bliss.blogspot.com

 
At August 17, 2013 at 9:21 AM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

Thanks Rose!

 
At August 19, 2013 at 8:12 AM , Blogger jhjonze said...

I just wanted to tell you THANK YOU! I have been wanting to re-do my master and put in a vanity, but I just didn't have the space. Then one night while searching Pinterest I got the idea to have it be my nightstand as well. But I was just having the hardest time visualizing what that might look like... Would it look dumb? Would it look weird if they nightstands didn't match? NO! Oh my gosh I love your room and I'm so happy to have something to clarify my vision. THANK YOU SO MUCH!

 
At August 19, 2013 at 9:27 AM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

Yay! I'm so glad my post could help you out! And seriously, you will LOVE having the vanity table. Thanks for your comment and good luck with your room! ~Devin

 
At August 19, 2013 at 11:27 AM , Blogger Kayla Janachovsky said...

Beautiful bedroom! I'd love for you to link up to The DIY'ers! http://homecomingmn.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-diyers-and-our-country-weekend.html

 
At August 19, 2013 at 6:22 PM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

Great! Thanks, will do! ~Devin

 
At January 1, 2015 at 4:28 AM , Anonymous Lighted Makeup Mirror said...

The dark heavy wood, brass handles, and gargantuan mirrored headboard ... elightedmakeup.blogspot.com

 
At January 2, 2015 at 12:21 AM , Blogger Feygles Indra Prasetyo said...

Thanks for sharing this article. I really love you idea.
Canadian Home Decorating Blogs

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home