Monday, July 22, 2013

Triple Layer Checkerboard Cake

Posted by Devin



Last weekend we had a birthday party for my 8 year old son. I usually let my boys pick out whatever kind of cake they would like and they typically say something like an alligator or a car or a puppy. I then do my best to make that happen. But this year Caden couldn't decide on a cake he wanted so I suggested a Triple Layer Chocolate and Yellow Checkerboard Cake. He said "Sounds great! Just make sure you buy some chocolate ice cream to go with it." No problem!

I've made this cake a number of times and it's always a hit. No one can ever figure out how in the world you can make a cake into a checkerboard pattern! It's actually super simple. Here's my how-to!

What you need:

-1 yellow cake box mix
-1 chocolate cake box mix
-2 tubs chocolate frosting
-eggs
-water
-vegetable oil
-checkerboard cake pan set


The real secret to this cake is the checkerboard cake pan set. You can find these for sale all over the internet, ranging in price from $12-16. Here is a pic of everthing that comes in the set: 3 round 9" pans and a batter divider.



My mom used to make checkerboard cakes and she didn't have one of these handy-dandy pan sets with the divider. She simply used the round cake pans she already had and made her own batter dividers using triple-thick strips of aluminum foil she shaped into the two dividing circles. If you'd rather not buy the pan set, you could always try this method. As for me, I am glad I have the plastic divider!

Step 1: In seperate large bowls, prepare your yellow and chocolate cake mixes according to package directions.



Step 2: Grease or spray your pans with non-stick cooking spray and place the plastic divider in one of the pans. (See photo above.)

Step 3: Pour batters into the pan with the plastic divider. Pour chocolate batter into the center and outer rings and yellow batter into the middle ring.



Step 4: Gently remove the plastic divider from the pan by slowly lifting it straight up. Rinse and dry the divider and place it in the second pan. Repeat Step 3.



Step 5: Again, remove the plastic divider and clean it off. Place it in the third pan and this time pour the yellow batter in the center and outer rings and the chocolate batter in the middle ring.



Step 6: Bake the three cakes according to package directions for a 9" cake pan. Remove from oven and let cool.

Step 7: Once the cakes are cooled, use a serrated knife to cut the top off of each of the cakes giving them a flat top instead of a rounded one. I use the top of the pan to guide my knife and make sure I am cutting it level.

















Step 8: Now run a butter knife around the edges of the cakes to loosen them from the pans. Then take the first chocolate-yellow-chocolate cake and remove it from the pan. Make sure to do this slowly and carefully so your cake does not crack or fall apart during removal. Place the cake bottom side up on your cake stand and frost the top. (I like to put them bottom side up because the non-cut surface is easier to frost with less crumbs getting into the frosting.)





Step 9: Remove the yellow-chocolate-yellow cake from the pan and place it bottom side up, on top of the first cake. Frost the top.







Step 10: Remove the last cake, chocolate-yellow-chocolate, from the pan and place it also bottom side up on the top of your cake. Now it is time to frost the whole thing, top and sides.






Once the cake is frosted, it is party-ready! Although it looks like a tall and delicious chocolate cake, it really isn't until you cut it open that the magic happens. Have fun surprising your guests!
 
(P.S. I have always thought this cake would be darling for a little girl's birthday party in a pink and white pattern with strawberry and white cake mixes. Since I don't have a little girl I have never tried it, but thought I'd throw the idea out there anyways. Enjoy!)
 
 


Linked With:

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At July 24, 2013 at 7:35 AM , Blogger Deanna Heiliger said...

This is so very cool...you did a great job! Thank you for all the pics, makes it easy to "see" how you did it!

 
At July 24, 2013 at 8:35 AM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

Thanks Deanna! I sort-of felt like a magician revealing my tricks, lol! ~Devin

 
At July 24, 2013 at 12:30 PM , Blogger Style Sisters said...

That is so cool!! I wondered how to make checkerboard cakes! Love it! Come link up your post at my party Centerpiece Wednesday http://thestylesisters.blogspot.com/2013/07/centerpiece-wednesday-85-and-wrap-up.html
Karin

 
At July 24, 2013 at 2:19 PM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

Thanks Karin! I just linked it up! ~Devin

 
At November 27, 2016 at 11:56 AM , Blogger Jade Graham said...

The flap is then pulled over the top and sealed. Because comics are flexible, Plastic Divider

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home