Monday, May 20, 2013

Printable Chore & Reading Punch Cards

Posted by Devin


Summer is coming and the kids are almost out of school. Yikes! How did it get here so fast?!! Every year I feel like I really need to prepare and plan for the summer months: what activities are we going to participate in, where are we going to go, what are we going to do with our long hot days, how are we going to make sure the kids don't watch too much tv and lose all brain power... You know, the usual stuff. 

Last year I was having a particular problem with 2 things: 1. Making sure the kids were reading enough, and 2. Getting them to help out around the house without massive amounts of whining. But then I started to use this punch card system and our days began going so much smoother! Seriously, it was like night and day.

Here's how it works. Print out these Chore Cards and Reading Cards and write your child's name on them. For the Chore Cards, you simply give your child a punch every time they complete a chore (taking out the trash, feeding the cat, helping with the dishes, whatever chores you choose). For the Reading Cards, I give my younger children a punch every time we read a book together and my older children a punch when they have read for 20 minutes. Once they have a card with 10 punches, they get to choose a prize from my "Mom's Store."  


My fancy "store" is just a carboard box I fill with dollar store type items that I know little boys can't resist: water balloons, water guns, bags of marbles, army men, giant candy bars, etc. I also occasionally put "Mom Coupons" in the store which can be redeemed for things like a trip to the ice cream shop or a Red Box selection of their choice (approved by Mom, of course).

I can not stress enough how well this system worked for us last summer. My kids are already super excited to begin again this year and have even tried claiming chores for themselves so they can get more punches! I say, let summer begin!!!


 

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At June 2, 2013 at 3:26 PM , Blogger Rachel @ Following In My Shoes said...

This is perfect!! I am implementing a chore chart for the first time this summer ... I don't want to do an "allowance" so this will be great! Thanks for the idea. :)

 
At June 20, 2013 at 9:57 PM , Blogger Tara and Devin said...

So glad you can use it Rachel! ~Devin

 
At October 9, 2013 at 12:36 PM , Blogger Sarah S. said...

This is such a great idea! I never thought of a "prize" box before. Definitely going to give it a try.

 
At August 1, 2015 at 5:50 PM , Blogger Emily Cothran said...

I'm in love with these punch cards! I've seen similar punchcards made to use in the classroom, but yours are much cuter :). Any chance you'd be willing to share an editable version? I'd love to use these with my second graders!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home